- Position: Vice President, Engineering
- Location: Kitchener, Ontario
- Experience: 10 years’ experience in technical leadership, with relevant software or robotics development background
Clearpath Robotics Inc. specializes in the design and manufacture of unmanned vehicle systems, software, and components for academic research and industrial products. Our clients range from Fortune 500 businesses to some of the best known technical institutions on the planet. Based in Kitchener-Waterloo, Clearpath Robotics employs highly talented people who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor, and we’re looking for people who share in our passion to create remarkable solutions and change the world.
About the Job
We are dramatically scaling up our engineering team in all areas from mechanical design to control software development. We need a technical
leader to help us continue our growth while improving our quality standards and technical capabilities. If you’d like to be a part of how unmanned vehicles are making an impact and don’t want to be limited by a specific market, this is where you should be!
You will gradually transition into leading the entirety of the day-to-day engineering activities at Clearpath and our subsidiaries. You will scale our team from our current size to hundreds of roboticists while keeping a strong culture and satisfied team members, and will also be responsible for ensuring that our capabilities grow to match our ambitions. You will work with the development team and any managers you may hire to ensure that the team is operating as smoothly as possible and that we are maintaining the right balance between agility and established process. You will work with members of various teams to ensure that the engineering aspects of new product introduction are clearly covered, and will likewise ensure that the
level of technical debt at Clearpath is at an appropriate level. You will work side-by-side with the CTO to ensure that there is a constant flow of new capabilities and technologies through the company to our markets and clients. You may have to take robots for occasional walks.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
* Team leadership, scaling, and recruitment
* Team and resource management
* Owning overall quality and results across the company
* Process ownership and supervision
Additional tasks may include:
* Product roadmap execution
* Strategic planning and budgeting
* Improving any and all aspects of how we build robots
* Risk, reliability, and failure mode analysis
Compensation includes base salary, benefits, stock options, and other perks. While our office is based out of Kitchener, ON, occasional remote work is feasible. We welcome more users of our telepresence robots.
You want to work for a rapidly growing company that thinks big and dreams huge while making sure the people on your team get home for
dinner. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your the world and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you’ve got the skills we need.
* Degree in engineering/CS or a related field, with applicable background
* Extensive experience in leading and building teams with 50+ people
* Software management background (robotics software development definitely counts!)
* Experience in engineering budgeting and planning
* Comfort with implementing and maintaining process without causing the development team to revolt
* Has shipped product! Better yet, product has packed and shipped itself
Bonus points for:
* Research, development, or implementation of robotics-specific algorithms
* Exposure to the hardware side of robotics or product development, including risk assessment and scheduling
* Business case development experience
* Ability to diagnose broken robots by their sounds and smells
* Building teams for follow-on support and QA
* Development and testing of safety-critical or high-reliability systems
Please submit a cover letter along with your resume by email. Instructions for sending supporting documentation, including testimonials as well as conference papers, journal articles, source code, portfolio media, references, or other indications of exceptional past work will be provided in the confirmation email will send you upon receiving your application. Detailed corporate information package available upon request.