Vacuum Robot FAQ: Answers to All Frequently Asked Questions
Helper robots at home is a compelling idea. We all want to have some machine to take care of all the housekeeping chores. Besides, the aging population makes such service robots is even more necessary. Indeed, we need robots that take care of all the grannies and the grandpas living alone. Such robots are among high priority targets of the robotic community. This is why there exist competitions such as the RoCKIn @ Home and the RoboCup@Home. Unfortunately, none of the current robotic assistants is ready yet to take care of the dishes or the laundry. They are still far form fictional robots in movies and TV shows such as Rosie the robot-maid. Nevertheless, there is good news. There exist robots on sale that successfully deal with some specific chores. The most prominent family is the one of robotic vacuums. This innovation comes with many questions. This is why we have made this vacuum robot FAQ.
In the following, we address all the questions frequently asked by vacuum cleaner robots buyers and owners. But, we also support you with your less frequent questions. Just post them in the comment section at the bottom of this page. You’ll quickly get help.
- Best Vacuum Robot: Which Vacuum Robot is the Best?
- Brands: What are the Top Vacuum Robot Brands?
- Customer Service: Which Vacuum Robot Brand has the Best Customer Service?
- Do I Really Need A Vacuum Robot?
- Hardwood Floors: Are Roombas Good for Hardwood Floors?
- Roomba: Which Roomba to Choose?
Do I Really Need A Vacuum Robot?
If you like vacuuming your home several times a week, then you don’t need a vacuum robot! For the rest of people, go get one! You’ll save time for work, or relaxing alone or with family and friends. Your place will remain clean with almost no effort. All you have to do is empty the dirt bin from time to time.
Having a vacuum robot is especially recommended if:
- you have pets
- you have young children
- you or your family suffer from allergy
- you are a caregiver to an elderly or a disabled person
For people suffering from allergies, you need to pick a vacuum robot with high performance filter. Those are the ones with filters that capture smaller particles, including pollen.
But wait! Even the best robots can leave some dust, especially at the corners. So, don’t throw away your old manual vacuum. You’ll still have to use it, much less often though. Checkout the video blow.
Best Vacuum Robot: Which Vacuum Robot is the Best?
The answer is that it depends on which criteria you use for comparing robots. In our 2017 review of the robotic vacuums, we made our selection based on the following criteria:
- High-End Vacuum Robots. They come with the most advanced features and accessories. The best from this regard is the Botvac D5 Connected vacuum robot. It does even score better than the iRobot Roomba 980.
- Best Seller Vacuum Robots. These robotic vacuum cleaners provide an excellent user experience, at a reasonable price. The winner here is Roomba 650 by iRobot. It is by far the most popular. It also has the best reviews.
- Best Budget Vacuum Robots. This category gathers the cheapest vacuum cleaner robots, costing less than $200. They however still have decent scores regarding user satisfaction. The best from this regard is Junior by bObsweep. An interesting feature is that you can use it as a mop. All you have to do is to attach a wet cloth to the velcro strips beneath the Junior.
Are Roombas Good for Hardwood Floors?
The short answer is yes. Roombas are very suited to vacuum hard floor. That’s true for all vacuum robots.
On Roombas, the cleaning system ensures maximum efficiency through a combination of brushes and suction. Actually, Roombas rely on two brushes: a main brush and a secondary one. The latter spins on the edge. It captures dust along the side of the robot. Hence, even if the Roomba is round, it still cleans wall edges.
The main brush is located on the bottom of the robot. It collects debris and hair and channels them into the suction path of the vacuum motor. On Roomba 800 series and the high-end 900 series, the main brush is more efficient that ones found in most other robotic vacuums. It is indeed made of two counter-rotating dirt extractors. They break down dirt into smaller parts easier to suck, resulting into improved cleaning. Besides, the counter-rotation avoids hair getting entangled. This means less maintenance for you. No need to clean the main brush, as with other vacuum robots.
Last, Roomba has a dirt sensor that improves the cleaning. It detects areas with high concentrations of dirt, dust, and pet hair. Those are typically around the dining table or high-traffic zones of your home. The Roomba is capable of detecting
these spots and spend more time cleaning them.
Roomba: Which Roomba to Choose?
There is no doubt that the iRobot Roomba is among the best and most durable vacuum robots. Yet, it’s not easy to pick one because there are actually many Roombas on the market. They have different features and accessories. Their prices also vary in a wide range: from $200 up to $900.
Our guide provides with a detailed comparison of different Roombas. They are spread over 3 categories, each meeting a specific need. We list below the best Roombas for each of these categories.
- Low-Cost Roomba for Tight Budgets: Roomba 650
- Roomba for Allergy & Pets Owners: Roomba 890
- High-End Roomba for Large Homes: Roomba 980
Customer Service: Which Vacuum Robot Brand has the Best Customer Service?
An important criterion to review a vacuum cleaning robot is how good is the brand at treating customers. We are currently investigating this question through a survey. We came up with a very short questionnaire. Please take it! It literally takes only 2 min to share your experience. The results will be public. So, other potential customers will benefit from your answers. Moreover, the best robot manufacturers will notice and improve the quality of their support.
Brands: What are the Top Vacuum Robot Brands?
In our yearly review of vacuum robot brands, we ranked vacuum robot brands based on their average quality. We have considered that the characteristics of sold products is merely a hint about how good is a robotic vacuum brand. The actual quality is a mix of the following criteria. First is the cleaning efficiency of the brand’s robotic vacuums. The perfect robot cleans all types of floors and carpets as good as you might do with a manual vacuum. Durability and good customer service are two other important and related criteria for comparing vacuum robot brands quality. Best robots are the most robust. And, the rare failures are quickly addressed by a good customer service. Ease of use is yet another complementary measure of quality.
Here is this year’s ranking:
- iRobot: Maker of the famous Roomba
- Neato Robotics: Maker of the Botvac Connected
- LG: Maker of the Hom-Bot
- iClebo: Maker of the Arte
- Samsung: Maker of the POWERbot including the Star Wars Limited Edition.