Principal Mechanical Engineer Position at Auris Surgical Robotics (San Carlos, CA)
Auris Surgical Robotics, Inc., is an venture-funded medical device company led by Dr. Fred Moll. We are developing a next generation robotic platform to address a variety of surgical applications. The Auris system is aimed at providing surgeons with an unparalleled level of precision and control when performing limited-access microsurgical interventions.
Core Job Responsibilities:
* As a member of the Mechanical Engineering team, you will develop a robotic platform for surgical applications focusing on robots, instrument manipulators,instrument interfaces and robotic setup joint systems.
* Provide design, integration and test solution in a fast pace environment with a quick development cycle.
* Investigate clinical requirements.
* Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall project goals.
* As the company grows, you will be responsible for sustaining production (including new features, yield improvements, DFM, process related cost reductions, etc.)
* Must be capable of working independently and in a team while being flexible, self-motivated, curious and willing to revolutionize the world of medical robotics.
* BSME required, MSME preferred. Minimum of 8 years of working experience with robotic or electromechanical systems.
* Proven experience developing a system architecture.
* Proven experience of mechanism design, robotics and automation. Medical robotics a strong plus.
* Highly desirable for a product minded individual, ability to combine complex mechanical systems into a product that meets or exceeds patient and physician needs.
* Proven experience with both high power and small motors, both brushed and brushless, different encoder types, brakes and linear actuators.
* Proven experience of drivetrains components such as gears, lead screws,splines, cams, linear guides, belts and pulleys.
* Proven experience in a fast paced, high transaction environment.
* Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to Manufacturing.
* Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms: SolidWorks (preferred), and/or ProE.
* Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a team environment.
* Strength in design analysis.
* Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing process (including machining, sheet metal, rapid prototyping, injection molding, sand casting, cast urethane, etc.)
* Mechanical design and analysis skills, including statics, dynamics, kinematics, strength of materials and stress analysis.
* Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability.
* Experience with designing hardware products in an FDA or other regulated industry; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis.
* Familiarity with IEC-60601-1 a plus.
* Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and organizations.
* Expressed interest in learning and solving tough technical problems.
* A passion for creating robust and reliable products.
Recruiting, Auris Surgical Robotics