Google X (Robotics) HRI Software Engineer Position (Mountain View, CA)
A new project at Google X (Robotics) is hiring a software engineer for human-robot interaction in Mountain View, CA. See full job listing below. X is a moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x].
We believe there are many problems in the world in which robotics could play a significant role in making it easier, faster and safer for people to get things done. We’re looking for roboticists, designers, hardware and software engineers to help us explore these possibilities, develop breakthrough technologies, and build new products that could help millions of people.
As robots become increasingly capable and intelligent, applications within dynamic human environments will become possible. In order for robots to become embedded in people’s everyday lives, they must be able to communicate with people and operate seamlessly alongside them. These interactive capabilities will require a deep integration of technologies in perception, language, and behavior generation that is informed by user-centered design.
You are a software engineer who has significant experience developing autonomous systems for human-robot interaction, as well as seeing how end users interact with these systems. You are passionate about designing algorithms and systems that will work for real products, and advocate zealously for approaches that improve end user experience. In this role, you are responsible for developing and integrating all of the necessary component technologies to build end-to-end, real-time autonomous interactions.
• Develop end-to-end autonomous social interactions.
• Research, integrate, and develop component technologies for interaction.
• Contribute to architecture design for social cognition and behavior.
• Collaborate with designers to prototype interaction concepts.
• MS in Robotics, Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, or equivalent practical experience.
• Experience with hands-on development on real robots.
• Experience designing and running experiments with human participants.
• Experience with depth perception, computer vision, or speech recognition; experience in data structures and algorithms.
• PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction.
• Experience with mobile manipulation.
• Experience with interactive learning or learning from demonstration.
• Experience developing architectures for autonomous systems.
• Experience programming in C++.
• Specific expertise in one or more of the following areas: Perception of humans for real-time interaction; situated natural language interaction; motion generation for social navigation, gesture, and/or legible manipulation.